Unfortunately not everyone is sincere and honest when it comes to breeding dogs. Since there is a market for selling puppies for lots of money, some people are bound to profit off of unexpected victims.
If you’ve decided to purchase a Border Collie puppy, you have to make sure the dog breeder is honest and actually cares about the puppies that he or she breeds. A reputable breeder will have much healthier and happier puppies compared to “puppy mills”. So before you even look at the available dogs for sale, talk to the breeder and ask him some questions to make sure you are purchasing a puppy from the right person.
Spotting the Right Breeder
Here are some clues that will help you decide if you’re purchasing a puppy from the right person. When buying a puppy from a breeder, look for the following:
- The breeder asks you a lot of questions – If they really do care about their puppies, they won’t give them up for just anybody. Expect to be asked questions about your home and expectations of what you want from a dog. Don’t be nervous though. They just want to make sure that the puppy ends up in right hands.
- They are a part of Border Collie dog club - Most reputable breeders will probably have show-dogs and are associated with some sort of dog club. If they are, make sure to ask them if any members of the club could vouch for them. It shouldn’t be a problem if they have a good reputation amongst other members.
- The breeder only breeds Border Collies – if they are breeding several different dog breeds then stay away. That’s a huge sign that it’s a puppy mill. A good dog breeder will not breed more than two different breeds,
- They have a waiting list - This is a really good sign that you found the right Border Collie Breeder. If they have a waiting list it shows two things – they don’t breed their dogs too often and the puppies they do have are in high demand by other people.
Where to Find a Good Breeder
Knowing how to spot a good dog breeder from the bad ones is just half the battle. You also need to know where to look for a good breeder. Here are some good sources for finding a healthy and happy puppy available for sale:
- Look up registered Border Collie organizations – Although most of them are more concerned about dog shows, they could point you in the right direction. Many of the members will breed their dogs every now and again. This is by far the best place to look for a good dog breeder.
- Ask Border Collie owners where they got their puppies – If you know someone with a Border Collie, ask them where they purchased their puppy. If they are happy with their dog they will definitely recommend their breeder.
- Check the classifieds – Either online or in the newspaper. Be very cautious of what breeder you choose though. Make sure you do your work to find out if it’s a reputable breeder or not.
Border Collie Breeder Warning Signs
Now it’s time to point out some of the warning signs that you should look out for. If you spot any of these signs, avoid the breeder. They are either a part of a puppy mill or at the very least breeding for pure profit without regard for the health and wellbeing of their puppies.
- Have puppies available for sale all year round – If they have puppies available all year round then they are either overbreeding their dogs or have too many females giving birth to puppies. If you see this then it’s clearly more of a “business” that breeds puppies for pure profit and not a reputable dog breeder.
- Has special kennels outside designed for breeding puppies – Puppies that grow up in the house and spend time with people will be healthier and more social than those that are caged outside.
- Offer several popular dog breeds – Popular dog breeds make the most money. So if the breeder has several popular breeds to choose from then they are most likely a puppy mill.
- They will sell you a puppy, no questions asked as long as you’re buying – Clear sign that the breeder doesn’t care about the puppies. To them they are just little money bags. Is that really a person you want to purchase your puppy from? I think not.
If you want to learn how to cure even some of the worst Border Collie behavior problems and the exact things you need for a happy, healthy and obedient dog, check out the Border Collie Owners Guide.